- Can you tell us about the origin of the band name, a history of the band and a little bit about the various members?
The original band began in around 1990 with four members coming together from various AOR and ‘Hair Metal’ bands around Manchester (UK).
Ian Salpekar (Bass Guitar) and Andy Halliwell (Lead Guitar) from Sweet Sin
Will Glover (Vocalist) from Sam Thunder
James Ross (Drums) from Dare.
Given that we had all come from the bands playing the lighter side of the metal genre, we all wanted to do something with a bit more of a kick, faster and really ‘in your face’ heavy rock and we thought the name Gone Savage summed that up perfectly.
Two of the original members remain, in myself and Ian Salpekar.
- Are you all from the same area? How did you get together as a band?
We are all originally from the Manchester area and came together as we were aware of what each other had done in previous bands around the area and nationally.
- Who are your favourite artists/bands and how have they influenced your own sound?
Speaking from my own personal perspective, my main influences as a kid were bands such as UFO, Scorpions, Judas Priest and many, many others. My taste has continued to mature into the modern day and I love the energy and drive of todays young guns such as Don Broco, Architects and Bring Me The Horizon.
As a band I think we still sit in the classic rock area and often get likened to acts such as Def Leppard and White Lion, both of which I will take as a compliment, but I’d like to think that we have a foot in the door of the modern alternative scene. I try to write lyrics that have a meaning and a story behind them and our last album ‘PastLife’ has a fully constructed story behind the lyrics for anyone taking the time to listen to them.
- Did you always have the ambition to be a musician and in a band or did you originally have other plans?
From the moment I heard the AC/DC live album ‘If You Want Blood’.. I knew exactly what I wanted to do and all other plans were dropped!
- What songs or albums are on your current playlist?
Architects … The Classic Symptoms of A Broken Spirit
Halestorm… Back From The Dead
Shinedown.. Planet Zero
Led Zeppelin IV
- Do you sing in the shower?
I take baths
- Do you have any plans for the band for this year and into next year?
Starting the creative process again for the next album.
- Do you currently have any new songs/albums ready to be released?
We have at least one more single to release from the album ‘PastLife’
We are also playing with the idea of a live album.
- If you could play at any venue in the world where would you choose?
I would have loved to have played some of the famous LA Sunset Strip venues in the 80’s such as The Whiskey, The Rainbow or Gazarris.
- Do you have a favourite album? If so, what is it?
All-time favourite… UFO.. The Wild, The Willing and The Innocent.
- Do you have any guilty pleasure songs/albums?
Christian Country/Rock singer Amy Grants album ‘Lead Me On’.. purely for the guitar work by Dan Huff (impresario and guitar hero behind 80’s AOR act Giant).
- If you were putting together the greatest show on earth, who would be playing?
Van Halen ( with Roth of course ).
Journey ( with Perry of course).
- Can you remember the first album you bought with your own money? What was it and do you still have it?
UFO .. Strangers In The Night… of course I still have it… on vinyl, cassette and as a download.
- As your fans will be reading this, is there any message you would like to send out to them?
Thanks for sticking by us for all these years… no matter how many people listen to our music, we treasure each and every one of you.
- Finally, let us know all your social media sites so your fans, old and new, can find and follow/like you!
Facebook – Gone Savage – Official Facebook Page
YouTube – Gone Savage – YouTube Channel
- We, at The Metal Asylum, would like to thank you for your time. Is there is anything further that you would like to add?
Thanks to everyone at Metal Asylum for promoting and championing real music… metal is the greatest music with the greatest fans.. always has been and always will be.
This interview is the property of The Metal Asylum